While painting the walls without the help of a professional painter, you may face a lot of paint problems like drips, brush marks, and stains here and there but it should not discourage you from doing it yourself. Here are the ways to fix the most common painting mistakes in Nepal.
- Paint drips
First of all, if possible, prevent drips by not overloading your paintbrush and if you end up with it anyway:
- Scrape it with a scraper
- Sand the area until smooth
- Repaint the surface
- Brush marks
Brush marks are mostly caused by either overloaded paintbrush or lack of right painting skill on wooden finishes. To get rid of them,
- Sand the surface
- Repaint it.
- Stained wall
If there are stains on the walls mostly caused by improper priming job, take an immediate action.
- Clean the area properly first with trisodium phosphate (TSP) and leave it to dry.
- Apply an oil-based undercoat over the affected areas
- Let it dry before you repaint.
- Flaking paint
When the walls come in contact with moisture and start seeping in it, flaking paint happens. It is also possible when you paint on the damp surface. To fix it,
- Scrape away the flaking paint using a paint scraper or wire brush
- Sand the area with coarse sandpaper first and fine sandpaper later
- Focus especially on smoothening the edges between painted and sanding areas as the new paint layer can highlight that area.
- Finally, prime and repaint.
- Mold and mildews
Mold and mildews often appear in the room with high moisture levels such as bathroom and kitchen. Before you start working on it, make sure to take safety precautions such as wearing eye-wear, proper clothing and gloves as both the mildew and the chemicals you are using can cause an adverse effect on human body. Now,
- Wash the surface with TSP, bleach, water and firm brush from bottom to top to avoid staining the surface. Read the label of chemicals for safety precautions and do not use it on finished wood and metal as it can damage it.
- Let it dry for two days, then apply primer with mildew protection.
- Repaint with double coats of best paints as top quality paints found in Nepal prevent the mildew from regrowing.