When we plan to paint for the first time, we fear about doing it wrong. If you are a first timer with a similar fear for your walls, fear not. We have got some tips to help you get through your painting project and make your time with wall paints more fun for you in Nepal.
- Buy just a single brush (two-and-a-half-inch angle brush with nylon or polyester bristles) of a good quality instead of many. Save money here and invest in some high quality paints.
- As soon as you finish painting, wash it up with soap and water to keep it in a good shape. If it hardens up, you are going to have hard time cleaning it up.
- Flip a five-gallon bucket, sit, and paint. You’ll save your legs from getting tired.
- If you prefer kneeling, strap on some gardening kneepads and get comfortable
- Punch holes over inner rim using a nail and a hammer to prevent paint from dripping down the side or pooling in the rim.
- Use the daylight to paint and keep the lights on to see the mistakes clearly.
- If it is a humid day, turn the AC cooler than usual to help paint dry faster.
- Open all the ventilation and save yourself from suffocation and headache paint smell causes.
- While painting higher surfaces, attach an extension pole to a roller to avoid doing up and down on ladder.
- You either prime properly, or you don’t. Prime it if it is an untouched drywall or plaster, if you are painting latex over oil-based, or if you are painting dark shades over lighter one.
- While working on the higher spaces, pour paint into an easy-to-hold container. Balancing paint tray up there usually means waiting for it to fall flat down. You definitely do not want a messy floor.
- If you spot some hardened paint clumps after everything has dried, get them off with razor blade or knife. Then, give it a quick dab of paint.
These tips can help you get though the hardships of juggling with paints. If you are not sure about doing it yourself or want to get the color right, get our experts of Asian Paints Nepal at your doorstep. SMS ‘FS’ to 36677. We are determined to make your home look special with our expertise. Give it a try.
In our society, we do not prefer darker shades much, especially black, be it clothes or wall colors with a belief that it brings in bad omen. We prefer to go with light and vivid ones. But at this time, when we believe in leaving old beliefs behind, choosing off-white paints for walls have various perks. It can transform the whole look of a room in a snap. Do you need more reasons to go with dark shades in Nepal? Here are more:
- Why darker shades?
Dark colors are filled with drama, excitement and comforting energy which is released in the room. Nowadays, lighter shades have become dull and old-fashioned and it never releases the vibe darker hues do. If you happen to be interested in applying darker color after reading this, wait. Do not jump into the strongest shade right away.
- How to choose the right shade?
While choosing the shade, think about your current decoration and think which color would fit in there. For indulging darker shades in your place, you have two option, either change the color of the whole wall or the things existing in the room such as curtains, table cloths, etc so you can match it with existing shades.
- Ready for a change?
Even a smaller shift in hues can make a huge difference. Opting for darker colors means you are ready for a change breaking free from monochromatic color. If you are up for an extreme change, go all black with darker curtains and dark colored art pieces too, if possible. If not, you can combine black with other lighter color.
Other than black, you can also go with deeper ones like deep blue, green, red, gold and other strong shades to make your abode feel more luxurious and comforting.
A bathroom, being the smallest, is the easiest room in the house to update with paint. You can paint it whenever you want but with what type of paint? Read on to know.
Keep moisture in mind
As the moisture is present in a bathroom, it can be a problem for painted walls. The humidity from steam from the shower or bathtub gets to your walls anyways, so you have to go with flexible paint that lets moisture out without breaking down.
Easy to wipe off
Go with easy to wipe paint finish as the walls tend to get stained due to moisture.
Avoid flat finishes as they absorb moisture making the walls challenging to wipe. Eggshells finishes could have been one of the choices being easy to wipe, but it is not so good for moisture-prone areas. Satin finishes are suitable for a low-moisture bathroom. So, go with either semi-gloss or high-gloss finishes that repel moisture as well being easy to wipe stains off. However, high-gloss does not look so good on the large wall surface like semi-gloss does. Reserve it for trim or bathroom cabinets instead.
Paint manufacturers are continually working on creating paints compatible for any room, including bathrooms by adding additives which makes paint more durable and moisture resistant. So, while buying paints, you do not have to depend on the finish entirely.
To avoid peeling paint, apply moisture-resistant primer before painting on your walls and ceiling. This step is small but essential to prevent time-to-time touch ups.
Which paint color?
As the color of bathroom walls affects your mirror reflection, you need to go with the one that does not change the appearance of your complexion, which makes it difficult for you to get ready. It would be best if you go with neutral shades – whites, grays, pastels – to dodge the problem painting walls can create. In Nepal, people do not see its use from various aspects, but it does play a crucial role in things other than just beautifying a room.
Accent walls, an easy and stylish way of beautifying your room, are popular for its flexibility. It is your choice on where you want to paint and in which color. Read on to find out few essentials you might want to follow while painting to get a perfect accent wall in Nepal.
- While planning for an accent wall, think outside the box instead of limiting to simply painting the walls. It may look good with stripes or metallic touch can make it stand out.
- Consider accent walls even if your room has a neutral color. Just as red or blue for bright ones, dark brown can look dramatically good for neutral ones.
- While choosing shades for an accent wall, it is a must to consider the color of rest of the room. It works best when the adjoined walls are lighter or medium shade of the chosen color. If you are painting a white room, it can be tricky but not impossible. Soften the contrast using mid-tone accent wall colors and bridge the difference. Even if white is not so common in Nepal, you can still play and experiment with it.
- Brainstorm other ways to use an accent wall like decorating ceilings with soft or vivid colors. Then, use crown molding to separate wall from the ceiling and add a style to it as well.
- Make sure to pick the right wall for the accent painting. The textured one without architectural feature can be the right one for you. You can also choose walls with windows but remember – a dark accent color around windows can overwhelm the room creating a bright light effect.
- Don’t be afraid to try out bold colors. As long as the shade around the room goes with your new choice, you can choose anything.
The first impression is the last impression and in the case of home, it means its exteriors. Even if the perfect shades of wall paints and other factors do not create the last impression just by looking at the exteriors, it definitely creates an impression about what to expect inside, right? So what is the impression are you trying to portray with its exteriors, be it in terms of wall colors or style in Nepal? For the right impression in a quick and easy way, follow these tips.
- Paint the front door
Everyone gets in from the front door and if its paint is chipped or faded, it looks like the whole house is uncared. So, a fresh coat of paint can brighten up its appearance giving a warm welcome to the eyes of visitors.
- Paint the trim and shutters
With a fresh coat of paint on trim and shutters, it is possible to not just add style to it but protect it against all types of weather as well.
- Refresh the railing’s look
Even if you really manage to keep the overall paint of the house fresh, if the paint on your iron railing is chipping, it is going to make your house look ill-maintained. So, take time to sand and repaint it for polished, inviting, and well-managed look.
- Install new number plates
If your house number plates are faded or rusty already, it is time to replace them, not just to improve the look of your house but to make it easier for people to find you as well.
- Install new lights
If light fixtures of your home are outdated, consider replacing it with an attractive one. Consult an electrician if the wirings are tricky and if they are not, you can do it yourself easily.
These are not so hard to get done painting and fixing projects. All you need to do is give it some time to give a quick upgrade to the walls and overall look of your home in Nepal.
When metals are exposed to the natural elements, rusting occurs so you need to take preventive measures to protect them and it is essential to take measure not just for its look but to maintain the quality of metal as well which is possible by painting them with high quality paints. Rust can occur as soon as the surface gets in touch with rain, snow, dew, and even just humidity. So, be it to get rid of it or to prevent it from happening in Nepal, a thorough, rigorous and systematic surface preparation is a must.
Get started with these steps.
- Clean up all the loose rust and peeling paint using a chisel-style scraper and then wire brush to dust off the residue. If the surface is big, use disk sanders or electric drill and attach wire brush on it for effective results. Make sure to take safety measures using heavy gloves, goggles, and a dust mask while working.
- After cleaning up the surface, dust it off with a soft bristle brush and scrub it with detergent and water and rinse with clean water.
- Prime it off immediately after finishing cleaning up to prevent rust from forming again. If you leave it for more than a day or two, you might end up having to do it all over again. Apply two coats of it and then two coats of paint for better results. If the painting area is large, apply both paint and primers with a brush.
While painting iron, go with Asian metal primer red oxide with corrosion inhibiting pigments by Asian paints Nepal based on synthetic resins for a better corrosion resistance as it is better to go with best paints which lasts longer without cracking and fading rather than cheaper paints available in Nepal and regretting it later.
If you are planning to start off with your first DIY project of beautifying your walls with beautiful shades, do not panic with all the tasks you need to get done. It definitely requires a lot of preparation while starting off a painting project, so to ease the process, begin with the list of proper tools with which you can complete the task with little to no stress in Nepal. Read on to find out about three of the essential tools needed to make your painting project a success.
Drop cloth or tarpaulin
The first thing you need to put in “to buy” list is drop cloth or tarpaulin to cover areas you do not want the paint to stain. You would never know when paint might spill and cleaning it up later can turn out to be the tough task for later. So, while painting, ensure the floors are well covered so that you can just fold up the tarp or drop cloth put it away without any mess.
If you want to get clean straight lines like a professional painter while painting the edges and corners of walls, get a painter tape from your nearest paint dealer. It is the most underrated accessories of a painter in Nepal which gives a professional result without any fear of messing up the lines.
Different types of Brushes
If you are quite unsure about the types of brushes you would need for your paint job, purchase a variety pack containing brushes of different shapes and sizes. It would be annoying if you find out the type of brush you need is missing while you are painting. Be ready with your weapons to overcome all the difficulties of DIY with confidence and readiness.
These three materials are just among the other materials you need to carry out your painting project. You can research the rest according to your needs and choices. Make sure you are fully prepared before commencing it.
While painting the walls without the help of a professional painter, you may face a lot of paint problems like drips, brush marks, and stains here and there but it should not discourage you from doing it yourself. Here are the ways to fix the most common painting mistakes in Nepal.
- Paint drips
First of all, if possible, prevent drips by not overloading your paintbrush and if you end up with it anyway:
- Scrape it with a scraper
- Sand the area until smooth
- Repaint the surface
- Brush marks
Brush marks are mostly caused by either overloaded paintbrush or lack of right painting skill on wooden finishes. To get rid of them,
- Sand the surface
- Repaint it.
- Stained wall
If there are stains on the walls mostly caused by improper priming job, take an immediate action.
- Clean the area properly first with trisodium phosphate (TSP) and leave it to dry.
- Apply an oil-based undercoat over the affected areas
- Let it dry before you repaint.
- Flaking paint
When the walls come in contact with moisture and start seeping in it, flaking paint happens. It is also possible when you paint on the damp surface. To fix it,
- Scrape away the flaking paint using a paint scraper or wire brush
- Sand the area with coarse sandpaper first and fine sandpaper later
- Focus especially on smoothening the edges between painted and sanding areas as the new paint layer can highlight that area.
- Finally, prime and repaint.
- Mold and mildews
Mold and mildews often appear in the room with high moisture levels such as bathroom and kitchen. Before you start working on it, make sure to take safety precautions such as wearing eye-wear, proper clothing and gloves as both the mildew and the chemicals you are using can cause an adverse effect on human body. Now,
- Wash the surface with TSP, bleach, water and firm brush from bottom to top to avoid staining the surface. Read the label of chemicals for safety precautions and do not use it on finished wood and metal as it can damage it.
- Let it dry for two days, then apply primer with mildew protection.
- Repaint with double coats of best paints as top quality paints found in Nepal prevent the mildew from regrowing.
We take care of the house we own and live in but despite all the care, we cannot stop the wear and tear from happening. That is why time to time maintenance of its exterior and interior is essential as it not only helps to keep it beautiful but keeps its value up as well. As we all love to keep our home well maintained, we can work on keeping bathroom and kitchen updated and freshen up the paints time to time. Freshening up the wall paints not only is a cheap way to make a home look new but is also a smart investment. But, how do you know it is the time to give your painter a call in Nepal?
Here are 6 signs that appear to notify you that it is the right time to do it. Look out for them.
- Wear and tear of paint
If the paint starts peeling, cracking, and shows bubbles, it shows that paint was not applied properly or the quality of it was not good. This may also mean that mold and mildew are taking over and weakening the hold of paint. Do not ignore it. Reach to the root of the problems as it can lead to a bigger one.
- Fading Paint
When the color of walls starts losing the vibrancy it had earlier, you know it is time to repaint. Darker paints are likely to fade out faster than lighter ones in Nepal.
- Gaps or shrinking boards
If the boards on the exterior of your home look shrunk or if there are gaps between them, have a look at it. It must be the sign of dry rot due to the moisture. Get a professional’s help and solve it.
- Cracking caulk
If the caulk on your wall is getting brittle or cracking, it means it has lost its elasticity and is time to repaint.
- It is time to paint
It is not always necessary to wait for signs of paint failures to show up to plan to refurbish a house. You can do it before huge problems start showing up and save yourself from the headache of big issues keeping your house in a perfect shape. If you haven’t painted in a long while, maybe now is the time to do it.
If you are seeing any of the above signs at your home, start taking actions.
The room automatically looks better when we match it with the walls colors. For that reason, people are getting more inclined to interior designing and are spending more money in beautifying their walls. They want to stand out from the crowd and make people drop their jaw when they see their home. Interior designing, in Nepal, is also about adding new zing to the home environment making home a beautiful place for ourselves where we spend most of our time.
These days, with a lot of options on designing our home, we are getting attracted by the way how simple tweaks can make our space comfortable and beautiful. Along with the interior color, exterior wall painting is also gaining popularity and with wide varieties of product and color available at the paint dealer, it makes it easier to paint different patterns which have become a trend nowadays in Nepal. People are painting their home’s nooks and corners in different shades giving it a different style and a new shine.
Also, some people think that only new home can be painted and modified. But, with changing time, growing technology and skills, remodeling and painting has become much easier and getting popular. People can just remodel and color their old place or rooms as per need and can stun the people with the whole new magnificent look. All you need is to do consult professional advisors who can give you a proper professional advice and help you in to calculate the cost to keep the budget in check.
Even if you are concerned about the budget, try not to buy cheap paints available in the market that looks budget friendly but may not be durable and worth the saving. You can find various ranges of products from expensive to cheap, simple to shiny, as people have a wide range of preferences. Manage your painting budget and dive right in to start painting your walls make sure to not compromise with the quality. And for those who can afford to spend more, obviously get the perks of getting to use high quality paints and designs.
Go grab your painting tools and start working on it and fall in love with the end result making the right choices. Happy painting!